Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dinning Room Changes

Hello Everyone!  I wanted to share some of my dining room changes.  Keep in mind that I’m not quite done yet.  I plan to repaint the dining room in July or August when it’s too hot to be outside.  Right now the weather is too pretty to be inside painting!   To see a before of my dining room you can go here. 

The biggest change I made to the dining room was adding black buffalo check fabric.

001

I repainted two dining room arm chairs from white to black and added the black buffalo check fabric to the seating.  

002

The picture behind the chair is one that I had forgot that I had.   It is a photograph of my grandmother feeding chickens on the family farm.  

009

I found it about a month ago in an old suitcase that I was given.  We’re guessing she was probably about eleven or twelve years old when this picture was taken.  

002

I kept the plates on the wall but I changed the vignette on top of the buffet. 

007

I replaced the dining room chairs with these chairs that I purchased at an auction a while back. 

  003

As you can see I painted all of them black. 

019

I wanted to change the lighting in the dining room but I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.  So until I do, I am making do with what I have.  I did make a change to the shades.  I covered the shades with twisted manila rope. 

017

Covering those shades has really made a big difference.  It was an easy fix for very little money.  I priced out new shades and they were expensive!

017

When I purchased the black buffalo check fabric, I purchased enough fabric so I could make simple valances out of it to hang in the dining room. 

008

002

The inspiration behind my changes in the dining room were the result of finding my grandmother’s picture.  I’m so glad I did!

As always, thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a wonderful week.

Gail 

Sharing with:

Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. Your chairs look great Gail...LOVE the buffalo check fabric and love the whole look of your buffet...so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the buffalo check, I have it on my bench in the diningroom and also have a chair like yours in my basement. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great changes! I like the colour combo with the black/white and I think it goes well with your walls as they are! Your "make-do-for-now" solution to the shades on your chandelier looks like a keeper to me - fantastic idea!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the buffalo check. Your dining room is so pretty!! I have a feeling that your grandmother is smiling and loving the changes that you made.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. you dining room looks great Gail.. love all the black and white.. you did a fab job on the curtains.
    to me, buffalo check just makes a room GaGa:) worthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, your dinning room looks gorgeous. I think the addition of the black buffalo check fabric was brilliant. So pretty! And I just love the idea of covering the shades with rope. How beautiful and original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your changes, Gail! You know I am a fan of black and white. : ) I really like the picture showing your mirror surrounded by plates. I've been going in all different directions with what I can put around the mirror in our dining area. Plates are one option that keep coming around in my mind. I would also love to change out our light fixture to a chandelier, but I am pretty sure hubby won't go for it when we have a perfectly good light there already. I think changing up the shades was a nice compromise for you until you find the fixture you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail- You did a great job. It is amazing how much things transform with black paint. isn't it? Loving the buffalo checks AND the new shade covering. I especially LOVE the picture of your grandmom though/! How very precious is that!!! Happy Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Gail!! Love how the black changes everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail,
    It all looks beautiful! Love those new chairs and the makeover on the shades was a great idea...very nifty thrifty. I agree, it's too nice outside to stay in...I'm off to go outside and clean all my furniture and décor in my screen porch.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so lovely, Gail...wonderful personal touches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gail, your dining room looks just gorgeous! The black makes such a statement, and I love all of your thoughtful details (including the sweet pic of your grandmother!)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail your dining room is absolutely beautiful. I usually don't like painted furniture but the black just brings everything together and the buffalo check just sets it off. You gave me quite a few ideas, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is simply beautiful and inspiring. I specially love your sideboard vignette
    Ramon
    Rowhouseblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dining room looks great! I like your new chairs and decor Your grandmother's picture is a real treasure isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks beautiful Gail. I love your Grandmother's photo and it's really special. She would be pleased knowing she inspired you to create a room so lovely. I think the black and white checked fabric is so perfect.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the changes and black and white are my favorite color scheme! Love the picture of your grandmother - so sweet! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks gorgeous!!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails