Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cornhole Anyone?

We are having so much fun playing the game of Cornhole.  It’s all the rage around here in Southern Maryland.    We had our first Cornhole party last weekend and let me tell you, we had so much fun. 

A couple of weeks ago, Charlie and I bought a set of  Cornhole boards at Dick’s Sporting Goods.  Because these boards are designed to use bean bags instead of the heavier corn bags, the boards didn’t hold up.  One of the legs and the middle brace broke.   

001

So we decided we would make our own cornhole boards.  We went to Cornhole.com and got the building plans for making the cornhole boards.   We then went to Lowes and bought the supplies we would need. 

004

Using the plans from Cornhole,  we cut all of our pieces. 

001 

We used the jigsaw to cut the 6 “ circle .

002 - Copy

We decided we wanted our cornhole boards to be painted the color scheme of the Washington Capitals hockey team which is, by the way, our favorite sport……..Go CAPS!   We painted them red, white and blue. 

First, I primed the boards with outside primer.   After the primer dried, I drew my design on the boards, and used FrogTape to mark the lines and then painted them.

003 - Copy

I found the Washington Capitals Logo on-line, printed it out and used Mod Podge to put it on the boards. 

005 

A finished cornhole board.

007

A close-up of the Cap’s Logo. 

010

I’m so happy with how they turned out.  This game is fun and addicting. 

002

 

006

You best believe we will be hosting another Cornhole party Labor Day weekend using our new Washington Caps Cornhole Boards. 

 

Gail

 

P.S.  There’s a Sunday’s Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming  and I’m linking to it today. 

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning Gail Sweetie...
    Looks like to me that you and DH had fun creating a project together, and something that the whole family will enjoy. You all did an awesome job, and I absolutely love the Cap's logo. Great job Gail's team. Follow this post up with some pics of you all playing the game. I have never heard of this before, but we do a Dick's Sporting Good. I am going to have to check this out. I think anyone could play.

    Have a blessed weekend. Many hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make a set too. Thanks for the info. Yours look great. My daughter and her husband love to play it. It sounds like fun.
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail,
    I have seen this game played at football tailgate parties...didn't know that it was called cornhole. Your board turned out GREAT!!!


    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting!
    I had never heard of this game before.
    It looks like alot of fun. I like horseshoes myself and another game we play called bocce ball(my fave).
    Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail - these are so much fun! Fantastic job! I have had a poor set sitting my basement all summer that my brother had made me...this just may be the motivation I need to finish them! Love yours! I have featured these - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Thanks for linking to The Sunday Showcase. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/08/three-scoops-of-love-giveaway-reminder.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. How has the mod podge held up? is it waterproof? Does it peal off easily?

    I want to put a picture on my board but I don't want it to get ruined if it gets wet, or destroyed in a little bit of bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Just curious if the paper was a certain type or thickness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am running a benefit CH tourney for a little girls that is 13 years old with cancer. Her favorite team is the Washington Capitals. I am having a hard time find their Logo to put onto a set that I will build for her. Did you make your own? If so, could I purchase a set from you? Thanks, Bob

    email - obrienmp10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails