Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Let’s Talk Trash

The trash that I want to talk about is in my kitchen and it’s the trash can cabinet pictured below. 

026 - Copy

I love this cabinet.  It’s probably the most functional and used piece of furniture we have in the whole house.  

Several years ago, (probably more like eight years ago) Charlie and I purchased the trash can cabinet at a craft show.   When we purchased the cabinet it had an oak stain on it.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of it.  It was before my blogging days.   Not caring for the oak stain, I painted it black and really liked it BUT… 

013

  because I have a lot of black furniture in my kitchen, I’ve been wanting to lighten some of it up and the trash can cabinet was my first lighten up project.   

001

I painted it Annie Sloan Off White, distressed it and added a little dark wax.  I added bun feet to the bottom to give it a little more height.

015

Instead of painting the top, I stained it a dark walnut.

027

014 

So what do you think, should I have left it black or do you like the off white?  For me right now, it’s taking some getting use to.  Maybe once I lighten up a few more pieces in the kitchen, I’ll feel different.  

002

As always, thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day. 

Gail

Linking this post to: 

Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design for Show and Tell
Restore Interiors for Restore It Wednesday
Domestically Speaking for Power of Paint
Decor To Adore for Fall In Love With Your Home

No Minimalist Here for Open House Party

The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday

Kristen's Creations for Share Your Creations

30 comments:

  1. love the new look.. sure wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the change you made to it, especially staining the top. It really looks great now. I'm not opposed to it being black but just like it so much better now.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I like it both ways, but I do like the contrast with the makeover. I am going to bookmark this as I need something for my ugly trash can. This is a really pickin' cool piece. And ya can add pretties on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Gail! Looks better lighter for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail I love the new look!! Love the pretty vignette on top too! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it both ways, Gail. I'm sure after having it black for a long time, you will need to get used to seeing it lighter. I do like the stain on top; did you have to sand it down or strip it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic change! Looks wonderful, I would never guess it is for garbage. Great idea to stain the top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail, I love it. I have never seen one of those before. It looks so nice painted white. Thanks for joining Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it!! Course I'm on a "lighten up" kick too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail, this is so sweet! I never thought you could hide a trash can in such a functional, pretty way. Kudos to you, my friend! ;)

    I love the new look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am just in love with idea of having a trash cabinet!!!

    I like either color; but I think the new white is nice especially with the stained top. I also like the dowel rods on the sides; you could hang a towel there, I suppose?

    nice piece.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new look, especially the contrasting top (big fan of that). I would love one of these cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great piece...i really need one of those but i don't have a place for it...i love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it much better in white. Trash cans in the kitchen are always a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new look! Such a clever idea to disguise the trash, never seen one of those before. Did you buy it in a known store or was it a unique thrift find?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the off-white! The new color lightens up the space and the contrasting dark stained top really makes the piece look wonderful. Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister has one like it in Oak. I think they are very functional.
    Paint is a great tool. Yours looks great in white.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! It looks amazing in the white. That is a perfect way to hide a trash can! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks really nice love the new white look come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. From trash to treasure. Love, love, love it! Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Trash can cabinet - what a genius of an idea. Though it looked good black, I do love it after you transformed it.

    Visiting from No Minimalist Here. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job Gail! I love the new colors and the feet. Nice transformation!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote the white is perfect. A little black is good, but too much can make it drab.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your little trash cabinet looks superb!!! I kid you not, you did a fabulous job of it and I love the way you have styled it. You are one talented lady.
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gail, What a gorgeous repainted trash bin/cabinet. I thought the black looked wonderful, but the white is over-the-top especially with some of the black rubbed through! Staining the top gives depth and a richness to this very upscale place to dispose of trash! Great job!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a useful piece of furniture! I love the transformation and the way you stained the top. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gail, I never would have known this holds a trash can! Practical and pretty. I like it with the new white paint. Thanks for linking to the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this!! I want one so bad!! You did a beautiful job refinishing! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm featuring this post on my blog today, so I can remember this idea. :)
    little-inspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE the cabinet, and love it lightened up! Thinking we all want a trash can like yours now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think it looks beautiful painted with the stained top! It looks much more custom and deliberate than it did. I put this on pinterest I like it so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails