Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lang Calendar Picture and a Charger Plate

I love Lang wall calendars and I purchase a new one every year.   They come in all shapes, sizes and themes.  I keep my old Lang wall calendars because they have the most gorgeous artwork.  I have them dated back to 2006.   

I have used  old calendar pictures for many projects.  I have used them to make cards,  covers for journals, bookmarkers, scrapbooking and I have made  decorative boxes just to name a few things. 

Below is a  picture from last years calendar.   I love the rooster and I wanted to use him in my kitchen.    

001

Using a charger plate that I purchased at a thrift store sometime back and the rooster, this is what I came up with. 

013

Allowing drying time between each step, I painted the charger plate burnt umber, applied crackle medium on the entire plate and then applied Folk Art Linen.  I stenciled a checkerboard pattern around the outside of the charger plate.  I cut the rooster out and resized him to fit in the center.  I used Mod Podge to adhere the rooster to the charger plate. 

003

 

018

This was definitely  a low cost project to do and adds such a nice touch to my kitchen. 

017

Wait until you see the pillow I made using the same rooster! 

Thanks for stopping by and may your day be filled with lots of sunshine and all the happiness it can hold. 

Gail 

Linking this post to:

Dittle Dattle for Amaze Me Monday

Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday

A Stroll  Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

28 comments:

  1. I love it. This is just wonderful. Love the checked border too. This is so cool. Your vignette is stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea. Looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats amazing.. love it~! you are so creative and talented..
    hugs
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project. It's so creative and a great way to use things you already had. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I've got an old charger plate that I may try a similar technique on. I've never used crackle medium before but I'm willing to try anything once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I love this, Gail! The checkerboard around the edge is great. I actually bought an extra calendar this year just for the pictures! I'm hoping to use some of the images in projects, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...Gail this is soooo cute, You rock the checkerboard is perfect. can't wait to see the pillow.

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very clever Gail...this would be a project I sure would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in love with this, Gail! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Omgosh, Gail! I love that plate. And I didn't know about Lang posters, but now I'm going to look out for them! I think I will definitely be bookmarking and drooling over this project for a while. I've just GOT to finish that play kitchen before I try one more craft!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gail I LOVE it and you created such a pretty vignette!! Have a great week, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a wonderful idea. Your whole vignette for your kitchen is beautiful. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Gail! I love how that turned out. I would never have thought to do something like that. The vignette looks great and can't wait to see the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, Gail, this is a masterpiece!!! I love this vignette! So gorgeous...you are so talented, girl!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever! I'm a fan of both roosters and black and white check, so you know I like this! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is this?! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the plate! I'm crazy about roosters! I'll have to keep this in mind and try it too.

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! That is amazing! It looks just great. Imagine what you'd have had to pay for it if you bought it in a shop. I love the Lang calendars too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Gail, that really did turn out beautiful. What a fabulous idea. A couple of years ago, I found a bunch of Lang calendars for 90% off at Hobby Lobby. I must of bought 8 or more different ones for paper crafting but I never thought of this idea. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and the inspiration.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! What a wonderful idea! You are so creative!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gail,
    The plate is awesome. You didn't spare a detail and it looks fabulous! I bet those calendars have a lot of great pictures.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wowsa! I would have never guessed how that was made. Beautiful! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a clever idea. Roosters are my thing! Thanks for sharing. Luv- Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  24. luv the checkered border, it is so beautiful you should be selling them on etsy.

    Don't forget to add this project in our linking party where every Wednesday we showcase projects for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/colours-of-spring-be-inspired-linking.html
    Thank you,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is truly gorgeous!! What a great idea to keep those calendars. I should have been keeping some over the years.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your idea for using old calendars, I have many old Lang calendars and am not sure what to do with them. Many are scenery pics. Any suggestions as to what to do with them or you or anyone else is interested in them please let me know. They were too pretty to throw away.
    Thanks, Terry (danandterryf@roadrunner.com)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails