Monday, January 30, 2012

A Weathered Finish

Hello.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  I was busy this weekend celebrating my husband and grandson’s birthdays on Saturday. Then on Sunday I finished some painting projects.  One painting project included a china cabinet and a chair from one of our guest bedrooms.   Pictured below is a before of the china cabinet. 

005

The before finish was a dry brush technique using white paint. 

014 - Copy

And now the after.

038 - Copy

I used Rosemary @ Villabarnes “Gesso Wash” treatment on the china cabinet to give it a weathered look. 

046

First, I painted the china cabinet dovetail gray in a flat finish.  When that dried, applied a thick coat of white Gesso and wiped it down with a tee-shirt.  I did this by working in sections. 

048

After it had dried completely, I sanded the whole piece.  

007

Lastly, I applied a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax and it worked great. 

051 

017 

The chair pictured below also received a make-over.

023

Originally it was painted black.

036

And now it’s painted Annie Sloan pure white. 

044

I added a thicker foam to the seat and reupholstered it.   A lot more comfy than before. 

040

  I also made the sign below.  It says “Guestroom” in German.  My husband was born in Germany.  His Dad was stationed there at the time of his birth and lived there for three years. 

025

I used a piece of scrap cedar and gave it the old weathered treatment as well.  I used my Cricut to make the stencil.  I have it hanging between the two windows in the guest room. 

 

041

I think I’m done in here, for now! 

032

Who would have thought that just about everything in this room was  given to me.  The china cabinet, the chair and the little work bench beside the bed were all freebies.  The mantel turned headboard was a purchase at an auction for $1.     

039

The writing on the fame chalkboard says, “Wishing you a beautiful night, sweet dreams and a wonderful tomorrow.”

As always, thanks for visiting and wishing you a beautiful night, sweet dreams and a wonderful tomorrow.

Gail

Linking this post to:

Three Mango Seeds for Do It Ya Self

The House of the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage

Coastal Charms for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Whisper Wood Cottage for 2012 1st Project of the Year

Elizabeth & Co. for Be Inspired

Faded Charm for White Wednesday

Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesday

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

2805 for Potpourri Party

45 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm loving all of it. Great job....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail,
    What a beautiful guest room. I wouldn't want to leave! The cabinet turned out so pretty and I love the technique that you used. I am in love with the mantel headboard.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the "SHOUT OUT" Gail! Your cabinet looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful room. Just love the cabinet and chair together. you have just the right touches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail it's beautiful, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a steal for that headboard! I love it! Your cabinet turned out great!
    Your bedroom is such a pretty place for guests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cabinet turned out beautiful--I loved all the makeovers--drooling over that bed and mirror on the wall too. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely bedroom, Gail! It looks so relaxing, comfy and serene! That is a beautiful china cabinet ~ it's got so much detail. I love pieces like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stunning Gail! Hard to believe everything was given to you, you have did a fantastic job, love the chalkboard in the bedroom.
    ♥Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was pretty before but it's got so much texture now. Love the whole room. It is beyond pretty. The headboard treatment... I adore it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I simply love everything! You've done an amazing job at making it feel so welcoming and all the pretty things to look at. I love the wall sconce and that armoire is to die for "after"! Love the "weathered" finish! And let me say this...that mantle with the upholstered piece is just perfect!!! Thanks Fox Hollow Cottage for posting it on your wall....now I have a new blog to follow!
    ~Melanie~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gail, the room looks great! I've bought gesso, but haven't used it yet. I need to get busy! I love everything about it!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the "after", but I'm thinking this guest room is so nice the guests may never want to leave!

    ~Blis~

    ReplyDelete
  14. The guestroom is fabulous and my favorite is the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new finish....your guest bedroom is just gorgeous! What lucky guests you have :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Gail, your guest room becomes prettier every day! I love the white antique cupboard, it's beautiful now! I have never tried that technique, maybe I will one day.
    Have a good night yourself, my dear.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Gonna have to add that to my to-do list! I'm a new blogger and now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gail!

    This makeover is gorgeous! I love it all. The mantle headboard is fantastic! Love it all. I'd like reservations!!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. This whole room is absolutely gorgeous! Love it! And freebies plus $1 for the mantle...can't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh most busy Gail! Your cabinet looks so pretty and you did a great job! Your chair tourned out very pretty too. I love the design of your china cabinet and what a beautiful room too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. that looks wonderful! I really like the chair update too and that fan on top...oh my!! instant love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this look, Gail! I've never used gesso before and Rosemary always does such great work. You were a good student!! It looks so cozy and romantic. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gail! I love the whole room! Everything in it! The china cabinet is just stunning!!! The mantel turned headboard and the way you have accessorized it is just perfection!! Beautiful room!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gail I LOVE everything about this room, I am making my reservations today!! Your china cabinet turned out BEAUTIFUL I love the weathered look! Great job friend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. O my gosh Gail, That is GORGEOUS! What a fantastic job! I love everything!

    wow...wow..wow

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, your guestroom looks fantastic! And the best part most of it was free.

    ReplyDelete
  27. as with everything you do, this is Fabulous..
    I MIGHT try to make the a sign like yours if ya promise to stay close by and cyber hold my hand :-) OR you could do a step by step tutorial via a video.. just sayin..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks lovely!!! What a special place for your guests...they won't ever want to leave ;) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Gail. wow I love the room. Love the shelf above the bed. Love the bed and the armoire. You did such an amazing job decorating. Yay! with you. I agree with your other posters...it all looks amazing and fabulous!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gail, this is so gorge! Love the finish you did on the hutch and your room is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These beautiful pieces look wonderful in this room!
    So happy I stopped in!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That looks amazing! I love the weathered finish, it's my new "thing"!!

    TFS! visiting from Charm of Home party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I love how this cabinet turned out,
    you may have given me the courage to paint
    the one I have that is similar....
    Thanks for sharing & hope you'll stop by~
    Have a wonderful week
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a gorgeous makeover, Gail! The cabinet is amazing! Thank you for sharing your lovely project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This piece looks great. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These pieces look wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your guest room is darling and you did a great job on the china cabinet. Love the mantel/headboard.. so pretty.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love how your pieces came out~ fantastic! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the look of the entire room. One question: Why the piece of glass inside the cabinet opening?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Loving all the new pieces! I'm a new linky follower!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is gorgeous, Gail. The whole room just shines. We have an old mantle turned headboard in our guestroom too! I love it's height and weight - gives the bed some "importance". Great job.
    Found you on Charm of Life

    ReplyDelete
  42. I could be very comfy curling up here! Yo have created a lovely room!

    ReplyDelete
  43. My husband's family is from Germany too -- I love the sign! Girl, that room is to die for. You've done an amazing job on everything. Love it all! Going to feature you later today plus I'll have another link party up and running later as well. Hope you will stop back by! XO, Clydia {threemangoseeds.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails